Logo description by userjt, EnormousRat and Shadeed A. Kelly Logo captures by Eric S. and EnormousRat
1st Logo (1983-August 2010)
Logo: On a black background or superimposed on the credits, we see the white text:
A presentation of SHOWTIME/THE MOVIE CHANNEL INC. with a white line seen underneath the text and below is the Warner/Viacom byline in a Sans serif font.
Later Variants: From 1986 to 2005, a Viacom byline replaces the Warner/Viacom byline. In 1988, it was changed to:
A presentation of SHOWTIME NETWORKS INC. In the mid-1990s, it was changed to:
A Presentation OfSHOWTIME NETWORKS INC. with the name "SHOWTIME NETWORKS INC." in Franklin Gothic Italic font and the Viacom byline in its "Wigga-Wigga" logo font below the white line. In December 2005, it was changed to:
A Presentation Of Showtime Networks Inc. Bylines:
- 1983-1984: "A DIVISION OF WARNER-AMEX AND VIACOM ENTERPRISES"
- 1984-1985: "A DIVISION OF WARNER CABLE AND VIACOM ENTERPRISES"
- 1985-1986: A VIACOM ENTERPRISES COMPANY"
- 1986-mid-1990s?: "A VIACOM COMPANY"
- Mid-1990s?-Late December 2005: "A VIACOM COMPANY" (in the Viacom "Wigga-Wigga" font)
- 1996, Late December 2005-Early January 2006: Bylineless.
- January 2006-2010: "A CBS COMPANY".
Variant: On Soul Food: The Series, "In Association With" appears below the logo. The opening version reads either:
THE MOVIE CHANNELpresents with a white line seen underneath the text and below is the Viacom byline in a Sans serif font.
FX/SFX: The fade in or scrolling of the credits.
Music/Sounds: Mostly none or the opening/end theme of the show.
Availability: Common. It's seen on all original series aired on the Showtime Networks and on TV movies manily Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (the movie). It's also seen on Soul Food: The Series on TV One.
Scare Factor: None.
2nd Logo (September 2010- ) Logo:
- Opening: On a greenish background we see circular part of the current Showtime logo surrounded with many red threads. The threads swirl and fold into the logo, creating the rest of it. This is the current Showtime Original logo.
- Closing: As a closing logo, this text fades-in below:
A Presentation of Showtime Networks Inc.
A CBS COMPANY FX/SFX: Light and logo threading effects.
Music/Sounds: Short synth-based theme that sounds like jungle music and ending off with a four-note fanfare.
Availability: Common. It replaced the old logo and appeared first in September 2010 on new shows and seasons produced starting from this time. Currently seen at the end of Dexter. It also appears on Nurse Jackie and Homeland.
Scare Factor: Minimal. Overall it's a very neat logo.